Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's OK to Want to Raise Your Own Children

I have been reading a little bit around the internet about women who are making the bold, countercultural, brave and joyful decision to step away from careers in the workforce and focus their attentions on raising their little ones.

I want to offer my support and my advice as a woman who made the same decision nearly 15 years ago.


This time when children are little is VERY SHORT! The workforce will always be there, but your babies will not. They will grow into your big kids, your teens, your young adults, and someday even your grown adult children. If you want to be the one home with them as they grow, it's important to remember that the time to do so is now.

It can be discouraging to feel like the workforce is passing you by, but I want to counsel you to be brave. Anything worth doing can be difficult and scary!

Do not let fear of the unknown future and the anonymous workforce ("Will I be able to get a job when the kids are big?" "Will 'they' hire me?") paralyze you. Let the people who love you and depend on you influence your decision too.


I'm so glad I did.

No comments: