Friday, July 20, 2007

Riding the Range Once More

The kitchen range, that is.

The bread baking is going along nicely. I'm starting to get a handle on how much we need each week. It seems like making a loaf every other day is about right for now. The breakfast foods are still a work in progress. I still need to figure out when to start the bagel dough. It seems like right before bed, which, of course, is just about right after I've cleaned the kitchen from dinner. I'm starting to understand why bakers are early risers. Even if the dough is ready when you get up, you're still almost an hour away from bread or bagels. Biscuits are definitely the quickest way to go!

In other baking departments, we're having more success. I've never been one to buy a lot of packaged sweets, and now that school is out I'm avoiding packaged snacks almost entirely. As a result, I've been trying to bake the occassional treat a little more reliably. I'm aiming to serve dessert on Sundays, and I'm letting the kids do some baking too. So, desserts are moving right along. In fact, now that the summer's in full swing, I'm trying my hand at making pies! This week I chose to make this.





If you opened it up, inside you'd see it looks like this.







If I'd been quicker with the camera, I could have shown you a picture of how it looked when it was baked. But, the pie knife was quicker than the camera in our kitchen Monday night, so you'll just have to imagine how delicious warm peach pie with vanilla ice cream was.

No comments: