Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Orange You Sweet!

I have to admit, I love to bake. I don't love for my family to eat too many sweets though, so it's a balancing act. I'll bake if company is coming, for holidays, for birthdays, and for school celebrations. I bake bread several times a week. Sweets just for us are not that common, but I think we probably end up having them once or twice a month. And... today was one of those baking days!

The last time I went to the market the grocery cart sported a little picture of some yummy looking pale cream colored frosted cookies on an ad for Land O'Lakes butter. It said something about holiday baking, but not, oddly enough, the cookie's name. Since I love love love the internet, I went happily to their web site and with a little sleuthing found Lemon Meltaways. Uh oh, one of my daughters can't abide lemon.

I pondered a few substitutes. No flavor? Too bland, I feared. Maple? Well, the same daughter only likes maple syrup, not anything flavored maple. Molasses? Ginger? No, I wanted something brighter. How about orange? As in the oranges in the fridge?

Well, that sounded just right.

Here's what I came up with.
Frosted Orange Snowdrops!
(I'm naming them that because the frosting looks like a little snow peak swirled atop the cookie).
Adapted from the Land O'Lakes recipe web site.

First I got out my ingredients.


1 1/4 c, flour
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 c corn starch
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 T orange juice

Then, I made the dough. Everything went into the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer and I mixed it until a smooth, pliable dough
formed.

(And meanwhile, I emptied the dishwasher. When the dishes were away, the dough was done. See? It doesn't take forever to empty it like everyone here in my house thinks it does! : ))

Then, I formed the dough into 2 logs, each about 8"x1" and set them in the fridge to cool for about 1/2 an hour.



I preheated the oven and when it was ready I sliced the dough into 48 cookies. They were a little more square than I hoped, but they rounded out a bit in the oven.

Next, the baking. Following Land O Lakes' instructions I baked them for 10 minutes in the 350 degree F oven. When they were done, they were not brown, but were set.


After they cooled, I frosted them with this snowy icing: 3/4 c powdered sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, 1 T orange juice, all mixed in the Kitchen Aid mixer until smooth and creamy.

But, they looked kind of pale.
Tasty, but boring.
So, I sprinkled a little cinnamon and a tiny bit of grated orange zest over them, and voila! These are beautiful autumn cookies!

And, everyone really loved them.

So, I'm grateful I had such a happy afternoon baking and I'm looking forward to the blessing of an autumn evening tea and cookie dessert with my husband and kids. And I feel even more blessed if just one of you readers makes up your own batch of Frosted Orange Snowdrops to enjoy with some tea. (I bet cocoa would be great too!)

1 comment:

KC said...

Ooh, sounds yummy!!! No hot drinks here though--it was 85 degrees today. God bless!